The new home of ASB head office in Wynyard Quarter, Auckland, is an exciting example of challenging the norm. Strong aspirations for a sustainable building as well as a fresh new take on office working environments demanded a clever solution for fire safety. In particular, the fire engineering design by Holmes Fire focussed on working with the natural ventilation strategy to address smoke movement from the building. The enables the building to have an open plan design, fully interconnected over six levels. This encourages a high degree of staff and visitor connectivity in an activity based working environment.
Holmes Fire’s fire engineering contributions to the project included:
- Computational fluid dynamics modelling to assess the speed and extent of smoke spread and minimise the number of intrusive fire and smoke barriers in the open levels;
- Assessing of the egress time for occupants simultaneously evacuating from the interconnected office level;
- Special review and specification of the internal surface lining of the distinctive ventilation funnel that protrudes above the building;
- Consolidation of the goals of both the building owner and the tenant, including the integrated fitout of the offices as well as connectivity with the new Waterfront Theatre project adjacent to the ASB North Wharf building; and
- Construction review and a ‘hot smoke testing’ in the completed building to demonstrate that the smoke containment strategies achieved the required performance.
Holmes Fire’s role on this multi-award winning project was critical to its success.
Photography credit - Sean McCabe